Magnificent Maths!

Hi everybody,

I am going to be telling you about all the magnificent maths activities we are doing.

Colourful Coloured Cars!

Hi everybody,

On Monday we started an investigation. What is this investigation you ask? What are the most popular car colours in Australia? That’s the investigation. What we have been doing is: predicting, researching, choosing 10 colours, walking to the train station and converting the raw data into fractions, decimals and percentages. Here is it in more detail:

Firstly we had to predict what we thought Australia’s most popular car colours are.

Here is my hypothesis:

I think that most popular car colours in Australia are red, silver and white. I think red because it is easier to clean then lighter colours and it is an easy coloured car to get, because you see lots of red in shops and on the road. I also think silver because I see lots of silver cars around, and because it is a colour that you can’t see dirt on very much. I also think that white (a tiny bit) because it is an easy colour to get and people think it is safer, it also reflects heat/light(even though it can get dirty easily).

What is your hypothesis?

(Hypothesis means guess/estimate/predict)

After we hypothesised we had to research the question. I found out that 70% (out of 9000 cars) of car colours that people choose is white, silver, black and grey. I learnt that people like white because they think it is safer and because it reflects heat. Here is a Website about what the most popular car colours.

This is where my partner and I recorded our data.

Then we had to get into pairs and decide what colour cars we wanted to ‘look for’. My partner and I chose these 10 colours: White, silver, blue, red, black, grey, green, purple, yellow and an other category. We chose these colours based on the popular car colours we found on the internet.

This shows the colour of the car, the fraction, decimal and percentage.

(You can’t see this very well, but if you click on it you can see it better)

After that the grade 5s got to go for a walk to the train station to collect our data. I got to choose how we wanted to record the data while we walked. I and my partner chose to do a tally. Once we came back from the walk we had to put all info into a graph. Then convert them into fractions, decimals and percentages. Our sample size was only in the Macedon Ranges; we couldn’t call it “What is Australia’s most popular car colour”, because we were only in the Macedon Ranges. After we completed that we had to make a pie chart with the data we collected.

Here is a pie chart I made using the data my partner and I collected.

The most challenging part of the task was converting the number into fractions, decimals and percentages. It was the most challenging task because some of the numbers were massive. Some of them had up to 8 digits! So it was very hard to round. And in the end my percentage for the whole tally was 99% (which was okay as long as it wasn’t majorly low or high).

Be Safe

tthit